Together with... Robert Garlinge and Rosalind Hardie
" I have been helping Rosalind to plan routes that are accessible for everyone by mapping journeys from the Phoenix extra care scheme, Hazelhurst Court, to Beckenham Place Park.”
Robert Garlinge, Phoenix resident
Robert Garlinge, a Phoenix resident, is a volunteer Healthy Walk leader for the Lewisham Healthy Walks programme, overseen by the Greenwich Cooperative Development Agency (GCDA).
Robert is passionate about the benefits of getting outside and has been supporting Phoenix Community Engagement Projects Officer, Rosalind Hardie, to explore healthy walks for Phoenix residents.
“I’ve always enjoyed walking and decided to support others to get outside a few years ago by training to become a walk leader for Forster Memorial Park. Walking is great for your physical and mental wellbeing and I felt it was important to support others to enjoy the outside spaces in our community.
“Many people struggle with social isolation and the walks are a great way to build confidence - especially after the pandemic. I have been helping Rosalind to plan routes that are accessible for everyone by mapping journeys from the Phoenix extra care scheme, Hazelhurst Court, to Beckenham Place Park.”
As a trustee for Lewisham Speaking Up, Robert devotes much of his time to supporting people with learning disabilities to use their voice and advocate for their rights collectively.
“I believe that everyone should volunteer where they can,” he said. “It’s important to support others in the community and getting outside can make a positive difference for all.”
The Tuesday morning Healthy Walk to Forster Memorial Park leaves from Goldsmiths Community Centre at 10:30am or at Longhill Road gate at 10:45am.
Robert and Rosalind are continuing to work together to plan healthy walks for Phoenix residents at Beckenham Place Park. More details will be released on our website.
Day to day repairs
- Carried out 18,932 responsive repairs
- Took an average of 6.05 days to complete a responsive repair
- 89% of our residents said they were satisfied with their last repair
Keeping our promise
- Kept 99.6% of appointments
Disrepair & emergency
- At the end of the year we were working to resolve 39 cases of disrepair
- Completed 32% of repairs as an emergency
- Carried out 96% of responsive repairs on time
- Invested £170m in major works and improvements since 2007
- Carried out major works to 85 homes
- Surveyed 65% of all our homes in the last 5 years
- Bought and fixed up 5 properties to replace homes lost through Right to Buy and Right to Acquire
- Completed the building of 30 new homes so they could be let to new residents
- Completed final grant draw down and receipt for The Fellowship Inn from the Heritage Lottery Fund
- We submitted a bid to the Greater London Authority for a grant to build 100 new homes for social rent and shared ownership
Safety in your home
During the pandemic, we’ve continued to carry out essential safety checks. It’s important to allow access for safety checks to ensure that your home is safe for you, your household and your neighbours.
If you are concerned about an upcoming safety check or repair, please get in touch so that we can discuss your concerns and work together to maintain the safety of your home.
- 99.72% of homes had a valid gas safety certificate
New fire training
- Set up a new programme board to plan and monitor how we meet new fire and building safety requirements
- 100% of our blocks had a valid fire risk assessment and 100% of weekly fire safety checks were completed
- 100% of our homes met the decent homes standard
- 100% of our homes and blocks had an asbestos management survey
Water risk assessment
- 100% of our blocks had a valid water risk assessment
- 100% of our passenger lifts had received legal safety checks
Dealing with antisocial behaviour
- 203 new cases were reported, 45 more than last year
- 169 cases of antisocial behaviour were closed (35 more than last year)
- 99% of closed cases were resolved
- 0 households were evicted for antisocial behaviour
- 61% of residents said they were satisfied with how their ASB complaint was handled
- 49% of initial interviews were completed on time
Caretaking and estate services
- 98% of inspections of internal blocks met our standard
- 97% of inspections of external blocks met our standard
- 100% of open space (grounds maintenance) inspections met our standard
A community we’re proud of
- Planted 50 trees
- Collected 876 tonnes of fly tipping, costing us over £130,000
- Received 161 pest reports and resolved 104 pest control issues
- Provided gardening services to 30 households as part of our gardening scheme
- Resolved 92 play area defects
- Resolved 48 cases of abandoned vehicles